Monday, August 22, 2011

To Have Your Child Play Mulitple Sports or Not?

As you may have guessed, my children all play multiple sports and at one time some times...very hard on scheduling but it does happen!  I always wondered if it was too much?  If we are wearing ourselves thin or perhaps is it a bad choice to play so many different sports and not hone in on just one!  Of course I see skills already that may signal that they are better in one sport or the other but does that mean they should only play that one sport?  I decided to do a little reading on this to make sure it wasn't hindering them to play multiple sports.

I came across this article, http://www.mnyouthsoccer.org/membership/rents/multiple_sports.pdf, which was very insightful and thought other parents may want to read it!

Currently, I think we will continue to play multiple sports and hopefully it will be beneficial for our children in the end.  I do honestly believe they learn a variety of skills and disciplines by playing different sports.  This rings true when I think of football~ it is very disciplined and time consuming.  It's gut wrenching at times, teaches true team work and teaches them to persevere through it!  I love watching them play, cheering their teammates on and working through the hard parts! 

As a parent, we want to teach our children everything...but sometimes, coaches among other leaders in our communities have a large part to do with our children learning life skills they will need in the future! 

No comments:

Post a Comment