Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Falcon Football is starting!

This year we have switched from JCYA to Rockwood Falcons Junior Football.  If you've never seen 5-12 year old boys play tackle football, it is definitely intense.  Out of all of the sports my children have played, this has been the most physically demanding by far.  Not only demanding for them, but as far as time goes, demanding for parents.  (I hear hockey is pretty demanding as well)  We start practice in July...even though the season doesn't start until September..and will have a camp as well that they are required to attend around the end of July. 

The practices are very intense.  The first hour being exercising..hard ones such as laying on your back and holding your feet off the ground for as long as they can hold it.  As a mom, it's sometimes hard to watch :(.  But,  at the end of practice I always feel as if the boys grew from the experience.  Football truly separates the ones who can persevere from the one's who can't. 

I do love that they have weight limits for the positions.  You won't see a 125lb running back going up again your little 76lb son.  I do still worry though...worry that my child hasn't grown into his body enough to take hits. 

Overall, I LOVE to watch them play tackle football!  This sport really brings a group of kids together and makes them learn to be a team.  I love the team aspect of this game!  I look forward to watching them play this for years to come, just hope they will want to. :)

As I said before, this is our first year at Rockwood, but JCYA was a great program to be in!  If you're looking to get your child involved in the future, I can't speak for Rockwood but I know JCYA rocked!  It's pricey....all football is...around $300 per player.  Other than the cost, everything about it has been beneficial to my boys and their attitudes.

We will see...Go Falcons!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment